Everest 2010 Expedition Dispatches

Dispatch #21 - May 25, 2010 – Base Camp

Five out of our seven climbers topped out on the Big E on the morning of the 23rd. The following climbers and their Sherpas reached the summit at the respective times.

Phil Crampton & Pasang Nima Sherpa - 7 AM
Jussi Juttien & Chheddar Sherpa - 8.12 AM
Anne-Mari Hyrylainen & Pasang Wongchu Sherpa - 8.15 AM
Ben Stuckey & Nima Neru Sherpa - 8.15 AM
Raphael Gernez & Pasang Dawa Sherpa

Margaret made the wise decision to turn around at the South Summit 50 vertical meters below the main summit due to the change in the weather conditions and the late hour of the day.

Mike, who is a seasoned Himalayan climber and an Everest veteran developed a case of HACE at 8,700 meters and was helped down the mountain by the following people who we are so grateful to for their assistance.

Both of our Sherpas, Sirdar Dorjee Sherpa, Lhapka Tsheri Sherpa and myself assisted Mike from the rock steps just below the South Summit all the way to the South Col. We were assisted by Willie and Damien Benegas along with their team doctor Roman and their Sherpa, Lhapka Nuru, who assisted Mike from the rock steps to the Balcony.

From the Balcony our Sherpas and I were assisted by Lhapka Rita, the Sirdar from Alpine Ascents who ascended from the South Col, Pasang Gumba Sherpa who was descending from the Mountain Trip expedition and Pasang Yula also descending from the Benegas Brothers expedition assisted to the South Col.

Mike showed a huge improvement and traveled on his own power from the South Col to camp three but again found himself needing help from camp three down. Dorjee and Lhapka Tsheri Sherpa along with some mental coaching from Bill Allen of Mountain Trip got Mike back to camp two after an epic two day descent. Our Sherpas Temba Bhote, Cheddar, Pasang Nima, Pasang Wangchu and Pasang Dawa all ascended from camp two to assist.

On the advice of the doctors from the Himalayan Rescue Association we helicoptered Mike out from camp two so he could seek medical attention immediately. His condition is good at present.

I would also like to thank both Vern Tejas from Alpine Ascents and Dave Hahn from RMI for keeping contact on our radio frequency throughout the descent monitoring the rescue.

Phil Crampton

Dispatch #20 - May 24, 2010 - Camp Two

This is just a quick note to let everyone know that the entire team is at Camp Two and will be descending to Base Camp tomorrow. Phil will post the summit details when he gets back to Base Camp.

Dispatch #19 - May 22, 2010 - Camp Four-South Col

We are now resting at the South Col, eating and drinking, and sucking on O's until we leave for the summit push at 9 PM. All the group are doing well after a quick climb from camp three to camp four and everyone seems very relaxed before the big push.

If the weather conditions and satellite phone batteries allow we will call from the summit. In 2008 we took a General Dynamics MR-1 computer to the summit to send an email announcing our success. This year we are using the General Dynamics GD8000 computer at the South Col but will probably not take this one to the summit this time.

Fingers crossed for low winds, clear skies and another beautiful summit day on the Big E.

Phil Crampton

Dispatch #18 - May 20, 2010 – Camp Two

The summit weather window still looks good for May 22-25 so we have decided to move up to camp three tomorrow in anticipation of a May 23rd summit push. We are told there are many groups going for it on the evening of the 21st hoping to summit on the morning of the 22nd so we have decided to try and avoid the larger crowds by going a day later.

Our weather forecast is predicting slightly slower winds at the South Col on the evening of the 22nd so this has made the team decide that the second day of summit pushes suits us better for all the team members.

All the team and Sherpas are in good health and very keen to start the final climb to camp three, camp four and the summit respectively. We plan to rest at the South Col for the evening after hopefully reaching the summit and then will probably spend an evening at camp two before heading back to base camp for the final time.

Let's hope the wind stays low as it seems the cyclone developing in the Bay of Bengal will supposedly not affect our summit push too much.

At the time of writing the dispatch camp two is being subjected to very high gusts of wind and we can see for ourselves that the Lhotse Face and camp three is getting hammered by wind. There are reports from Sherpas at camp three that many tents are damaged and we have allowed our friends from the Japanese expedition, who are camped next to us at base camp, to use our tents at camp three as there's have been destroyed, and ours as always, have withstood the extreme conditions above 7,000 meters.

Phil Crampton

Dispatch #17 - May 18, 2010 – Camp Two

The complete team is now at camp two after a very quick climb to camp one and then onto camp two. The fastest of the team was Anne-Mari who improved on her last time with a 4.5 hour climb from base camp to camp two. All the other members also improved on their previous times, and the long rest duration at base camp with regular daily hikes has seemed to payed off. I actually went slower than last time as I was carrying the laptop, satellite modems, phones and all the relevant cables for our camp two communication dome, which is a smaller version of what we have at base camp, and I'm also getting older.

We will continue to check our daily weather forecast from our meteorological service and compare with our friends European service to decide on what day will be best for our summit attempt. The predictions are looking good for a May 22-24 window but we need to asses the wind speeds for our evening at the South Col.

Another factor to take into consideration is the two large guided expeditions left on the mountain and their summit plans. We have been told the good days to avoid the crowds so we will decide and try to avoid any possible bottlenecks that were supposedly reported from above the South Summit on May 17th. We are hoping that there will be two ropes on the Hiliary Step, for for ascent and descent, and this hopefully will avoid the problems that I have experienced there in the past.

Regardless of the weather forecasts, good or bad, we plan to rest tomorrow at camp two, before moving any higher on the hill for the push.

Phil Crampton

Dispatch #16 - May 15, 2010 – Base Camp

Anne-Mari and Pasang Wongchu Sherpa are now down at base camp, and as originally planned we all hope to go to the summit together as a team in the next suitable weather window.

We know there has been a lot of interest in the competition between the two Finnish women trying to be the first to summit Everest, and the drama involved makes for good reading. We prefer to not be part of a drama, but knew when the expedition started that both climbers would obviously want to be first, and both myself and the other team members supported Anne-Mari with her goal from the start.

Because Altitude Junkies expeditions are guide managed and not fully guided like most expeditions here at Everest, we let climbers make their own schedules based on their abilities and assist them in decision making in order to have a safe and successful climb. We allowed Anne-Mari to climb to camp two and camp three respectively along with her personal Sherpa, Pasang Wongchu, based on the weather window forecast by the Swiss meteorological service. Anne-Mari decided to go with the Swiss forecast, as many other teams have done for this very small window, where as I prefer to go with the American forecast and a larger weather window. Once we had discovered that the Swiss forecast changed and matched our forecast, I decided there was no choice but to instruct both Anne-Mari and Pasang Wongchu Sherpa to descend the following morning for their safety. Anne-Mari had no problems with my decision and her priority is for the safety of her personal Sherpa and herself.

We have a very good relationship with Tim Ripple and his Peak Freaks operation and strongly believe that what my Sirdar Dorjee Sherpa, Tim and I discussed "in regards to Ann-Mari and Carina departing the South Col simultaneously” must have been misinterpreted by ourselves, and we hope that both of our teams have maximum success and safety on the Big E this season.

Phil Crampton

Dispatch #15 - May 14, 2010 – Base Camp

The main focus of our expedition is safety and after receiving the weather update today from our American forecast service, which still predicts high winds for the 16th and 17th, and consulting the Swiss forecast that our friends have, we have decided to bring down Anne-Mari and Pasang Wongchu Sherpa to base camp for safety reasons. The Swiss forecast has advised that the narrow window they had previously predicted has now closed and that there are dangerously strong winds predicted for the previously suggested good dates.

Anne-Mari and Pasang Wongchu are currently at camp three and will descend in the morning after breakfast. We know Anne-Mari's so called rival in the first Finnish female race for the summit, is also at camp three, and although this could probably take the prestigious title away from Anne-Mari, we believe that the safety of our two climbers is more important than being first.

All of our team members and Sherpas realize that reaching and returning from the summit safely is our foremost priority and we are glad to concede the race that has become dangerous and at times too deceptive for our liking.

We wish all the climbers pushing for the narrow summit window a safe and speedy ascent and we hope that both the forecasts we have been consulting are wrong in their predictions.

Phil Crampton

Dispatch #14 - May 13, 2010 – Base Camp

Our expedition has now taken a very interesting turn of events with Anne-Mari in camp three alongside her fellow Finnish climber, Carina Raiha. They are both competing to be the first Finnish woman to summit Everest and although a very dangerous competition, we are supporting Anne-Mari as much we can within the safety boundaries that the weather will allow.

Our professional weather forecast from the States, which we are following for a later summit attempt, is somewhat now different from the Swiss forecast for the 16th & 17th. The European forecast predicts low wind speeds so Anne-Mari is using this information for her summit attempt. This forecast, coupled with the chance to be the first Finnish woman is the reason for her earlier summit attempt than the rest of the team. Our other team members support her and wish her and her climbing Sherpa, Pasang Wongchu, success but we are content to go for our summit after May 20th.

An earlier gentleman's agreement between the respective expedition leaders on a summit date for both the climbers to leave the South Col together did not work out, so now it's the strongest and smartest who will prevail and we wish both climbers a safe and speedy climb to the summit. Everest always creates dramas, and although this is one I did not want, we now somewhat have a competition and I just hope both climbers are responsible enough to realize that just reaching the summit of Everest is an achievement in it's own right.

Phil Crampton

Dispatch #13 - May 12, 2010 – Base Camp

We have been studying our weather reports very closely the past few days as we received some data revealing a possible small weather window on the 16th and 17th. As the two dates approached, the window seemed to close as we were not satisfied with the safety margin it offered us. The wind speeds predicted by the two premier weather forecast services used on Everest, both our US forecast and the Swiss forecast, are still predicting very dangerous high winds for another week.

A few groups have braved the conditions and following data from another weather forecast, have tried to position themselves for a summit bid. As I write this dispatch we are told all groups are grounded at camp two in 100km/h winds and it looks as if they will have to hunker down for a few days waiting for lower wind speeds happen.

Our group has collectively decided to not chance the small window and prefers to stay put taking regular day treks in anticipation of the jet stream leaving the proximity of the mountain after the 20th.

Anne-Mari, Pasang Wongchu and Dorjee Sherpa along with Pasang Disco Sherpa are presently all at camp two. Dorjee wanted to break down the tents at the camp to save them from destruction and Anne-Mari wanted to keep a close eye on her Finnish rival at camp two, who is also aiming to be the first Finnish female to summit Everest.

If the forecasts hold true and the wind continues most of the climbers positioned at camp two would be wise to descend to base camp otherwise climb in some windy conditions.

Phil Crampton

Dispatch #12 - May 8, 2010 – Base Camp

We waited to comment on the rope fixing Sherpa summits on the 5th until we had all the correct details. The collective Sherpas fixed the route all the way to the summit and taking advantage of a small weather window, two climbers along with their personal Sherpas summitted on the 7th, the day which had marginal weather conditions going on the majority of weather forecasts.

We are told there was some drama with one of the climbers on the descent and the respective team will most likely post a report on the summit on their own website. It seems the gamble with the weather paid off for these two climbers.

We also heard that some climbers summitted Lhotse on the 7th but unfortunately a climber died during the ascent/descent. We will also let their team report on all the details of that unfortunate incident.

We would like to report on some good news but unfortunately as I write this dispatch, five of our Sherpas are assisting with the rescue of an injured Sherpa on Pumori. Both ours and another groups Sherpas have climbed to camp one with a stretcher where they hope to evacuate the Sherpa, who we are told took a 200-meter fall yesterday. We hope the clear skies hold for a helicopter evacuation later this morning.

As for our team, we are still down at base camp waiting for the high winds to abate and allow us to make a serious summit attempt with a safe three to four day weather window. Our weather forecast service from Redmond, Washington State, has been very accurate, and although the winds will be around longer than we had hoped, we are very grateful for such precise forecasts.

We hope to have some good news with our summit plans in the next few days when we see the jet stream move away from the mountain and hopefully clear blue skies.

Phil Crampton

Dispatch #11 - May 4, 2010 – Base Camp

Our Sherpas have been doing a fantastic job of getting the respective high camps stocked and ready for our anticipated summit bid hopefully in the coming days. On May 1st, six of our Sherpas collectively carried oxygen and tents to the South Col. The weather the following day was not so good so they rested at camp two with the help of our two full-time camp two cooks. May 3rd saw an improvement in the weather but Dorjee Sherpa and myself were concerned about the snow accumulation above the Yellow Band, so the Sherpas only climbed to camp three and dug the necessary tent platforms for our intended stay there. Today they completed another load carry to the South Col and will return to base camp later today for a well deserved rest and plenty of Tuborg beer.

The team members are well rested and relaxed but are now feeling the urge to get back on the hill. Upon our arrival at base camp at the start of the expedition we made very fast progress completing our camp one, two and three rotations with very few rest days in between. We decided to climb when the weather was good and the mountain was quiet of other climbers and although we are now on the same schedule as most of the other teams, we enjoyed the solitude of a quiet Everest early on in the season.

Our expedition is free from scheduling from outside powers, as it was in 2008, and we are hoping not to be thrown a sucker punch as we were in 2009 when we tried to make a summit attempt around May 10th and were forced to retreat because of changing weather patterns. We are hoping that the present change in the weather is temporary and that all the team get to summit around mid May allowing them to return home early to their families.

The Altitude Junkies are now riding high with confidence since our Sherpas have made the final carry of supplies to the South Col and are even discussing possible summit dates although this is all dependent on the weather conditions and wind speeds. We have dates ranging from the 13th through the 19th so we will see which of our team members will win the wager.

Phil Crampton

Dispatch #10 - May 2, 2010 – Base Camp

We are still in our holding pattern at base camp waiting for the summit window weather to appear. We keep ourselves occupied by taking regular hikes to Pumori base camp which keeps us feeling fit for the summit attempt which we hope to make soon.

The plan is still for the collective Sherpas from IMG and Alpine Ascents to fix the ropes from the South Col to the summit in the next few days when there is supposed to be a lull in the summit winds.

The talk this season is for a ruling to only allow Sherpas to be high on the mountain when the ropes are being fixed and for western climbers not to follow the working Sherpas the same day they fix ropes and cause potential dangerous problems with late summits. This was the same rule that was imposed when the ropes were fixed to camp three on the Lhotse Face a week or so a go. We have agreed to wait until the Sherpas have completed their dangerous job of fixing the rope before we go higher on the mountain.

Our weather forecast will see us be at base camp for several more days so when we have a firm plan with favorable weather dates will will start to move up the mountain.

Phil Crampton

Dispatch #9 - April 26, 2010 – Base Camp

We are now all back at base camp after our second rotation on the mountain, tagging camp three in the process.

On the 22nd we all climbed directly to camp two from base camp with the exception of Jussi who followed a day later with Lhapka Sherpa and our Sirdar, Dorjee Sherpa. After spending a rest day at the 6,400 meter elevation the following day we ate and drank well, courtesy of our two camp two cooks in anticipation of our climb up the Lhotse Face the following day.

A very cold 7 AM start saw us make great time climbing up to camp three with times varying from 2.5 hours to 4 hours for all the team members. The wind was blowing hard so we did not spend too much time at the camp site, just depositing some supplies in our designated campsite.

Jussi, Lhapka, Dorjee and Pasang Nima Sherpa all climbed up to camp three the following day while the other team members waited and rested at camp two. They experienced windier conditions than the previous day but both Jussi and I got some amazing film footage with our helmet cameras, catching the power of the wind at Everest's high camps.

After four nights spent at camp two we headed down to the warmth and thick air of base camp today. Our cooks are sure taking good care of us and all the members have very large appetites.

Our Sherpa team have now got 70 or more oxygen bottles in position at camp two and when the wind subsides and the ropes are fixed to the South Col we will start to move our bottles needed to the high camp.

The plan is now for the team members to both rest and take regular day hikes while we wait for the South Col to be stocked, the summit ropes to be placed and the weather window to appear. We have made two climbs through the icefall already and the plan is to make one more up and one more down with the summit in our pockets.

Phil Crampton

Dispatch #8 - April 18, 2010 – Base Camp

We have just completed our first camp one and camp two rotation and all the team members are now back resting at base camp.

The complete team along with Lhapka Tsheri Sherpa and Lhapka Sherpa climbed to camp one on the morning of the 15th where we spent the evening. The following day we made the short walk to camp two where we spent two evenings to aid our acclimatization process. Our camp two cooks Pasang Nima Sherpa and Pasang Disco Sherpa did an excellent job of establishing our camp two site. Upon arrival our custom Mountain Hardwear dome complete with dining tables and chairs, base station radio and antenna and our sleeping tents were all set up leaving us little to do but eat and drink for the rest of the day.

Our Sirdar Dorjee Sherpa attended the meeting about the placement of the fixed ropes as I was at camp two with the team. Several teams have volunteered one or two Sherpas to fix ropes up the Lhotse face to camp four and as usual Alpine Ascents and IMG will have staff fix ropes from the South Col to the summit weather permitting. Some of our Sherpas will carry ropes and hardware to the respective camp sites to aid the fixing Sherpas.

We had one of our first visitors from a neighboring team today with Vern dropping by from Alpine Ascents. Obviously we discussed the rope fixing first before I proudly gave Vern a tour of our high tech toilet/shower tent complete with flushing toilet, hand washing sink and propane on demand shower. Boys and their toys.

The Sherpas have now got our camp two complete so tomorrow we are starting to ferry oxygen to camp two in anticipation of the route being fixed to the South Col.

The team will rest for a few days before heading back up the mountain, directly to camp two and then a few days later tagging camp three.

Phil Crampton

Dispatch #7 - April 12, 2010 – Base Camp

Yesterday saw all the group with the exception of Jussi make their first foray into the icefall. Jussi was not feeling 100% so he went into the icefall today with Lhapka Sherpa. We went roughly for one and half hours and crossed four ladders to practice the techniques needed for safe passage. Margaret, Raphael and Michael are all icefall veterans from 2008 on their Everest and Lhoste expeditions respectively.

Our Sherpas have already established camp one and camp two and are now stocking camp two to allow the team to spend a few evenings there in a few days time.

Today several other groups are holding their Puja ceremonies, so we expect the icefall to be slightly busier than it was the day we were there. We were actually the only team in the icefall yesterday with the exception of a few Sherpas returning from camp one and Dave and one of the RMI climbers heading up to the first few ladders as we did.

The Sherpas and I are still amazed at how quiet base camp is although we expect more people to be on the hill the next few times we are climbing.

The climbers are all in good health apart from the few coughs that are common when first arriving at base camp. We visited with the HAR Doctors yesterday and they told us about the first life they saved this season at base camp. The cook from the Korean expedition was suffering from HAPE but the quick actions of Dr. Luanne and her fellow doctors saved his life.

We will report once again after our first rotation through the icefall and when we have returned from camp two.

Phil Crampton

Dispatch #6 - April 10, 2010 – Base Camp

The climbing team all arrived in base camp a day ahead of schedule on the 8th. They skipped the night at Gorak Shep as they were all feeling strong and most of them know how their body acclimatizes at these elevations. They are now letting our five kitchen staff pamper them before they start their rotations up the mountain.

Lama Geshe in Pangboche told our Sherpas that April 9th was the most auspicious day for a puja this season so following his instructions we held our service yesterday. We had a lot of fun and at the conclusion of the ceremony our Sirdar, Dorjee Sherpa and myself invited several of our Sherpa friends from various expeditions to join us and help finish off the supplies from the Puja. Needless to say it was a long afternoon and I was once again forced to end the evening early while the Sherpas continued on.

One of our Sherpas traveled to Camp two with a Sherpa from the RMI expedition today to establish our campsite. We will once again be in a our usual camp two location and we are very proud of our new modified Stronghold dome which we will be using this season.

Tomorrow will see us take our first foray into the icefall where we will climb up to the first sets of ladders to practice the techniques needed to travel safely on this part of the climb.

The team are all in good health and very keen to get into the icefall and start climbing.

Phil Crampton

Dispatch #5 - April 5, 2010 – Dingboche

I am now in Dingboche with the rest of the climbing team. Everyone is in good health and humor and Dorjee sherpa has done an excellent job of making sure everybody is eating and drinking well.

Our base camp is now finished and the Sherpas are enjoying a few well-deserved rest days before the climbers arrive on April 9th. That same day, we are told is the most auspicious day for the Puja this season according to our Lama, so it's going to be a busy day, with arriving at base camp, a Puja ceremony and celebrating Jussi's birthday in the evening.

The majority of teams now have staff in attendance and many of the Sherpas I have spoken to have commented on how quite they expect the mountain to be this year compared to last season, going on the expedition staff present.

Once again this season, Eric's team is the largest in size with 28 climbers and roughly 50 or so Sherpas, so we expect them to orchestrate the organization of the fixed ropes. Eric has been instrumental in bringing over good quality fixed rope in varying thickness from the States to ensure the safety of all climbers and Sherpas this season. It seems as most of the groups are working together financially to make sure that it's placed properly and safely and that this is the safest Everest south side season yet.

We are not surprised to hear that China has once again blocked access into Tibet until after April 10th, so our thoughts go to all those climbers heading to the north side who are still kicking around Kathmandu. The Kathmandu hotels and restaurants are probably pleased about this news with the extra income that China's uncertainty brings them.

Phil Crampton

Dispatch #4 - April 1, 2010 – Base Camp

The group are now on their way to Phakding for the evening. Fortunately they made the first Lukla flight from Kathmandu, not bad to say that the weather has been somewhat sporadic over the past few days. Tonight in Phakding, our Sirdar Dorjee Sherpa and his wife will host the group at their beautiful Buddha Lodge.

The next few days will see the team follow a cautious approach to base camp where they should arrive on April 9th. I will drop lower to meet the team in a few days time somewhere around Namche Bazar or Dingboche.

Our Sherpa team have done a great job of establishing base camp and all left to do now is to build the chorten for our Puja ceremony on April 9.

The icefall doctors made a brief appearance in the icefall on Monday and then I caught a glimpse of them again descending on Wednesday. Before they started the job of fixing the icefall a few of them swung by our camp for tea and described how the route will most likely follow the same route as it did in the fall of 2009.

The weather the last few days has been pretty miserable in the afternoons with snow storms and I am hoping that April brings us some glorious sunny days that we experienced this time last year.

Phil Crampton

Dispatch #3 - March 25, 2010 – Base Camp

We arrived yesterday at base camp a day behind the majority of our Sherpas and porter loads. We will spend the next week building the rock kitchen and leveling the tent platforms for our dining, communication, medical and storage tents respectively.

There are Sherpas from several other expeditions already in attendance setting up their respective camps and slowly base camp will transform over the next few weeks to the tented village it becomes during the Everest season.

Our team members are still yet to arrive in Kathmandu but should start to filter in over the next few days. The team this year consists of seven climbers and one TV production crew member. The climbers collectively have participated on previous expeditions to Everest, Lhotse, Manaslu, Cho Oyu, Baruntse and Ama Dablam, so they are no strangers to what is ahead of them for the next two months.

Our last evening spent in the teahouse in Gorak Shep saw me run into a neighbor from New York, Bruce, who is the chef owner of the Blue Ribbon chain of restaurants in the city. I am not sure if Blue Ribbon will be adding momo's to their dinner menu anytime in the near future but it was interesting to hear a professional chef's take on the kitchen's of the teahouses.

Phil Crampton

Dispatch #2 - March 22, 2010 - Dingboche

Our permit was requested early this year to allow me to go ahead of the rest of the team to establish base camp with our Sherpa crew. Cheddar Sherpa and myself are now spending our second day in Dingboche following our porter loads. Upon arrival at Lukla on the 19th we were informed that base camp had received 18 inches of snow the previous day. This fresh snowfall had left our Sherpas already present at base camp unable to further excavate tent platforms.

Our climbers are still another week away from arriving in Kathmandu, so hopefully weather permitting we can get our base camp completely finished with plenty of time for the staff to relax before the members arrive in camp.

Our Sirdar, Dorjee Sherpa, along with Lhakpa Tsheri Sherpa and Lhakpa Sherpa will accompany the team to base camp early April. Dorjee Sherpa is the owner of the Buddha Lodge in Phakding. He is quite famous in the Khumbu and a young Dorjee was the Sherpa responsible for carrying the custom IMAX film camera from the South Col to the summit for the hugely successful David Breashers film from the 1996 season. Dorjee will be coordinating all our staff on the mountain this season and hopefully we have the same success as all of his previous Everest expeditions where he has been Sirdar.

We will send another brief dispatch one we have arrived at base camp or have anything interesting to report on the way.

Phil Crampton

Dispatch #1 - March 17, 2010 - Kathmandu

The 2010 Altitude Junkies Everest Expedition is about to start in a few days with the arrival of the team members. Our expedition is once again grateful to our premier sponsor, General Dynamics Itronix, for their continued support in providing our expedition with the newest rugged laptop computers for the spring, summer and fall climbing seasons. We will be posting regular expedition dispatches throughout the year using their GD8000 computers.

We are also grateful to our sponsor, Mountain Hardwear, for their continued support in providing us with high quality tents that are needed for the conditions experienced on Everest.

Once again we have a very experienced group of climbers this season with previous expeditions to Everest, Lhotse, Cho Oyu, Manaslu, Baruntse, Ama Dablam and Denali to name a few.

The team members are:

Phil Crampton (UK/USA)
Jani Einolander (Finland)
Raphael Gernez (France/USA)
Michael Herbert (UK)
Anne-Mari Hyrylainen (Finland)
Jussi Juutinen (Finland)
Ben Stuckey (USA)
Margaret Watroba (Australia)

Our expeditions always have a maximum of eight climbers with a minimum 1:1 Sherpa to climber ratio and this year our climbing Sherpas consist of:

Dorjee Sherpa (Sirdar)
Lhapka Tsheri Sherpa
Chhedar Sherpa
Pasang Wongchu Sherpa
Nima Nuru Sherpa
Pasang Dawa Sherpa
Temba Bhote Sherpa
Lhakpa Sherpa
Pasang Nima Sherpa
Galjen Sherpa

Our base camp kitchen will be staffed by the following talented cooks and kitchen assistants:

Maila Tamang (Head Cook)
Lal Singh Tamang
Chaturman Tamang
Chhiri Sherpa
Bhalakaji Tamang

Some of our staff have already been at base camp for about two weeks establishing our campsite, our home for the next couple of months. The members will arrive over the next week and start their trek to base camp at the start of April.

Phil Crampton

Contact us: info@altitudejunkies.com